Donate to help with the research

Saturday 7 April 2012

Another Email about what our friends are doing latley.

Hi Cameron, Just touching base to check on your progress with the Howard plough. I have been very busy making 1/16th scale tractors and machines so have not progressed with my plough except for research and discovery.


At a vintage harvesting day last December I managed to find, in the farm scrap heap, a rear axle complete with one 24" wheel from a Howard plough that was exactly the same as mine. (see pics 7598/99) This was a real bonus as now I know exactly what I am looking for the other wheels.


Then last Saturday I managed to get a 20" plough wheel at a clearing sale with spokes that seemed the same as the Howard wheel (see pics 7826/27). It was not until I got it home and cleaned it up a bit that I found it was actually a Howard of Bedford England plough wheel. This wheel had a much heavier hub than my other wheel - it is a solid casting with a 2" x 1 1/2" tapered axle as against the 1 1/2" x 1" hub from the plough.


While I am still on the lookout for another original wheel, I aim to make a pattern of the original hub and cast a new hub into the 20" centre for the front wheel. If that looks and works out OK I may have to reproduce a 3rd wheel from scratch unless I find an original.


Other than the above I was given one new share so I am also on the lookout for another share.


Cheers for now

There were pictures but I can't upload them at the Library so will post them later.
Good luck on your prodject

here are the pictures




No comments:

Post a Comment