Donate to help with the research

Sunday 23 September 2012

Latest from Ron


Just got an email from Ron

Just an update on my plough. I have just finished stripping it completely down to every bolt. It was no easy task as many of 1", 7/8. 3/4 and 5/8 bolts obviously had not been undone for 128 years. Surprisingly, many undid quite easily after the initial loosening but it took two hours solid work with a 6 foot pipe extension on the spanner to undo the 1" nut on the axle - plus numerous rests !!. Unfortunately there was no sign of any paint in any close fitting parts.
Since my last contact I have also managed to bid successfully for a 4 wheeled Howard plough with the frame exactly the same as mine - although it is possibly a few years younger - I regarded this as an exceptional find as there are very few around in one piece or even in bits. This has the four Howard wheels and has some bits my plough is short of like standard, steering lever, arm weights and spanner bracket etc. Thus I can now rebuild my plough with 100% original parts and build another 3 wheeled plough with about 85% original parts - the latter I will sell to recover some of my mounting costs.
I will take a series of pics covering the restoration, as it proceeds, for you to check out
Cheers

I havent managed to find any more out about Howards messirs yet but here are someof the pictures.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment