Donate to help with the research

Thursday 22 December 2011

Good news.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have not posted sooner but I was busy,

I received these photos of howards of Bedford ploughs from a anonymous person who has emailed me with details,

It would seem that Howards in fact took over ransoms the more well known farm equipment.

Here is the email that I received  on the matter

Hi , I thought I would let you know of my findings to date.

Pic 7579 shows a Howard brochure depicting my plough as the "Stump Jumper" The wheels are not original and the front one is missing. Thru research I have actually come across a wheel that suits my plough. It is currently on a Shearer plough that has been restored by a local museum - see pic 7578
It is a Howard wheel having Howard Bedford cast into the hub. If I can't get original back wheels I will make up the rims and spokes and using the Howard hub as a pattern, and get new hubs cast in aluminium with a steel axle sleeve.

The other pics show that the Howard colours are seen as a royal blue frame with pinky-red wheels
(you may have sent one of them - I lost track of them) I have been lent a copy of the Ransomes history by Brian Bell and it seems most of their machines continued the same livery after the take over from Howards. I reckon we can comfortably settle on those colours.

As an aside, if you ever come across any detail concerning the date my plough was first made (or any information) - eg. brochure dates etc, would you pl let me know. 

FYI

Regards

and now I want toi share the photos I received with the email






there is a suspision amongst me and my father (the owner of the plough that started this blog) that the howards ploughs might be a red and a darker blue so the ransoms were a sky blue but the howards a navy blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment